"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien.
"If you wish to be happy, think not of what is to come nor of that which you have no control over but rather of the now and of that which you can change."
Oromis, Brisingr, Christopher Paolini.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dude!

DS is eight years old today. The big present was his very own iPod nano. It was basically an afternoon of my time to get it going, as the iMac in the playroom needed more memory and an OS upgrade before I could load DS' music (five Bionicle songs) onto the thing. (Come to think of it, the computer is only about three months younger than DS!) He is thrilled. We've already had occasion for a lesson in iPod etiquette, as he's inclined to leave his earbuds in and yell at everyone.

We had a fun weekend celebrating. On Saturday, my ILs took him to Clay Canvas to paint a mug. He painted a Bionicle-themed mug there with them before, but I fumbled and broke it a couple of weeks ago. I believe the new one is also a Bionicle mug. It'll be ready next Saturday, so I'll know for sure then!

On Sunday afternoon we had some friends over for a Mad Science birthday party. What a blast! The kids had a great time working with the "mad scientist." I suppose at some point we'll work out in which neighbour's yard the rocket crash-landed...

This morning DS had his first piano lesson. He was counting down the time for at least an hour beforehand, afraid we were going to be late. He was wearing a watch on each wrist -- I suppose so that we'd still make it there on time even if one watch stopped?

The lesson was a great success. He loved it, and played very well. I'm somewhat irregular with my own playing (given that it's purely for my own enjoyment, and I'm rather busy with other things), but now I have motivation to play more; I can't let DS catch up to me too soon!

No comments: